Chocolate Caramel Cake
2 years ago
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 250 g dark chocolate
- 150 ml coffee
- 250 g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 250 g caster sugar
- 250 g light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 100 ml buttermilk
- 4 eggs
- For Salted Caramel:
- 200 g sugar
- 50 g butter
- 75 ml cream
- For Chocolate Ganache:
- 50 g dark chocolate
- 50 ml cream
- To make the salted caramel, place the sugar in a saucepan with 50ml of water
- Now gently heat over a low heat, swirling the pan but not stirring, until just melted.
- Turn up the heat a little and simmer gently, swirling regularly, until you have a clear, very dark golden caramel.
- Remove the pan from the heat, then carefully and quickly whisk in the cubed butter and cream.
- Keep whisking and beating until smooth, then beat in ½ teaspoon of sea salt.
- Let it cool. If making the caramel in advance, keep it chilled but bring back to room temperature before using.
- For the cake, melt chocolate with the butter, coffee and a pinch of fine salt.
- Mix the flour, sugars and cocoa until well combined.
- Beat the buttermilk into the melted chocolate mixture, then beat and mix in the eggs.
- Pour this mixture into the flour-sugar mixture and mix well.
- Spoon into the greased and lined cake tins and bake at 180 degrees Centigrade for around 1 hour 15 minutes
- Until cooked through and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes in the tins for 10 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the ganache.
- Melt the chocolate with the cream, once smooth stop stirring and let set.
- Spoon ganache on one of the sponges and spread to the edge.
- Place the other cake on a board and drizzle with a few tablespoons of the salted caramel.
- Beat the remaining cooled ganache until light and fluffy.
- Spread over the salted caramel, top with the other sponge and finish with white chocolate shavings.